How to Prepare for your Professional Headshot Session
Getting a Professional Headshot is different from a simple portrait session. Professional Headshots are the first step in creating your personal and professional brand at the same time reflecting your personality. It is important to think about how you want to be perceived as well as the image you want to project.
Below are some general guidelines and tips on how to prepare for your headshots session with Junmo Lee Photography.
What to wear for your Professional Headshots
Dress as professionally as you want or as business casual as you like.
- We recommend wearing clothes that make you feel comfortable and confident.
- Wear/bring clothes that you received a lot of compliments in and make you feel good.
- Dark to medium gray tones usually photograph well depending on skin tone, hair color, etc.
- As for colors themselves, solid colors are best but try to avoid all black or all white shirts (white shirts are fine if you plan to wear them underneath something e.g. business jacket, sweater, etc.).
- Try to keep clothes as neat and wrinkle free as possible. The iron or pressed shirts are your friends.
- Business jackets tend to work well for a slightly more professional feel and provide the option to have multiple looks, one with the jacket and one without.
- Make sure your clothes fit well.
- V-neck undershirts (mostly for men).
Mainly bring as many outfits as you can so we have lots to choose from.
Clothes to avoid
- Clothing with large horizontal stripes. Stripes in general (both horizontal and vertical).
- Crazy patterns (small uniform patterns can be ok).
- Big flowery patterns.
- Baggy shirts and loud colors unless you really look good in that neon pink top. ;)
- Sleeveless tops or dresses (unless you plan to wear them underneath a jacket or sweater).
- Crew neck undershirts (men).
Since the photo shoot is for professional headshots we suggest keeping the jewelry fairly modest.
- Avoid large necklaces.
- Smaller necklaces and chains work well.
- Pendants that aren’t too low also work nicely.
- Usually avoid large dangling earrings unless it’s your signature look.
Regardless, jewelry is optional and you should not feel pressure to wear any.
Makeup and Hair
Avoid getting a haircut the day before your professional headshots session. Give yourself time to get used to the new cut and style and let it grow in a bit.
- The best results for applying professional makeup would be freshly exfoliated skin.
- If that's something you don't have time to do then a clean face with no makeup (or at the least very minimal) and no sunscreen please.
- Makeup is suggested for men as well. It truly makes a difference.
If you choose not to use our makeup artist here’s a link for tips on applying makeup for a photo shoot. Hint: it’s worth hiring a makeup artist.
Avoid any glittery makeup products and high SPF content. If you choose to do your own makeup please show up to the photo shoot with your hair and makeup done.
Finally get plenty of rest the night before your shoot. Avoid excessive drinking. Stay hydrated. Apply lip balm or moisturizer several days ahead of the shoot to avoid dried chap lips (this goes for men as well). Bring eye drops to make sure your eyes aren’t red as well.